- The Father and His Sons
- Difference between man and Superman
- Zen and the Art of Bicycle Riding
- At a public telephone
- Pictures of trees
- The Tortoise and the Eagle
- Doctor Terminology (4)
- Age and Treachery
- Some facts about the 1500s (3)
- Things we can learn from a dog
- Flying Art
- The beast in me
- On Efficient Use of Grey Matter
- I have to pee
An airline pilot with poor eyesight had managed to pass his periodic vision exams by memorizing the eye charts beforehand.
One year, though, his doctor used a new chart that the pilot had never before seen.
The pilot proceeded to recite the old chart and the doctor realized that she'd been hoodwinked.
Well, the pilot proved to be nearly blind as a bat.
But the doctor could not contain her curiosity.
- How is it that someone with your eyesight can manage to pilot a plane at all? I mean, how for example do you taxi the plane out to the runway?
- Well, it's really not very hard. All you have to do is follow the instructions of the ground controller over the radio. And besides, the landmarks have all become quite familiar to me over the years.
- I can understand that, replies the - doctor. But what about the take-off?
- Again, a simple procedure. I just aim the plane down the runway, go to full throttle, pull back on the stick, and off we go!
- But once you're aloft?-
- Oh, everything's fully automated these days. The flight computer knows our destination, and all I have to do is hit the autopilot and the plane pretty much flies itself.
- But I still don't see how you land!
- Oh, that's the easiest part of all. All I do is use the airport's radio beacon to get us on the proper glide path. Then I just throttle down and wait for the co-pilot to yell, AIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!' pull the nose up, and the plane lands just fine!
- eyesight - visão
- manage to - conseguir
- eye chart - quadros para teste de visão
- beforehand - antecipadamente
- though - entretanto
- see (see, saw, seen) - ver
- hoodwinked - enganada
- blind - cego
- bat - morcego
- runway - pista de decolagem
- ground controller - controlador de terra
- landmark - marcas topograficas que ajudam a identificar uma regiao
- take off - decolar
- full throttle - a todo motor
- pull back - puxar para tras
- stick - manche (do aviao)
- aloft - no ar
- radio beacon - sinal de radio
- glide path - caminho de pouso
- pull the nose up - levantar o nariz do aviao
- land - aterrisar
Borrowed from http://www.aprendendoingles.com.br/shtml/2009084.shtml
- Lojas com nomes engraçados (pelo mundo)
- Carregando Fralda.... aguarde
- No dream comes true until you wake up and go to work
- High speed photography, bubble
- How to sit at a computer correctly
- A preguiça é um merda
- Não estou conseguindo congelar com esse sub-zero amarelo
- Shoud I cut or shoud I not?
- Beber e Dirigir é suicídio. Não brinque no trânsito
- Invisible Man: U Can't see him, but u know when he's around
- Cloud Engines uses QR Codes? fail
- Facebook Fail: Why is the Xbox 360 called the Xbox 360?
- Bruce Lee
- Extra Oferta: Mesa de Ferro Fudido
- O importante é ter o sonho realizado, o resto é bobage
- I found him, but it was too late
- Waldo meets Carmen